Understanding Oracle’s Release Number Format :
- Major Oracle platform number
This is the most general identifier. It represents a major new edition (or version) of an application, such as Oracle database server or Oracle Fusion Middleware, and indicates that the release contains significant new functionality.
- Database maintenance release number
This digit represents a maintenance release level. Some new features may also be included.
- Oracle Fusion Middleware release number
This digit reflects the release level of Oracle Fusion Middleware.
- Component-specific release number
This digit identifies a release level specific to a component. Different components can have different numbers in this position depending upon, for example, component patch sets or interim releases.
- Platform-specific release number
This digit identifies a platform-specific release.